What is Sports Rehabilitation?
Sports rehabilitation is an organised programme designed for persons who have suffered physical injury due to sports.
Due to the rigorous physical demands of competitive sports, amateur to professional athletes run the risk of getting injured. Thus, sports rehabilitation must be prioritised among such individuals, more so when they have sustained a prior serious injury.
Correct strength-training, flexibility-training, and stability-training programme is hoped to speed up the recovery process, allowing athletes the possibility of getting back into the game sooner.
Goals of Sports Physiotherapists
The exercises undertaken under sports rehabilitation are unique to each individual. Physicians will also monitor the progress of an athlete’s rehabilitation and set realistic and attainable goals for each patient. The 5 goals of sports rehabilitation consist of:
Recuperating physical stamina and fitness
This involves taking measures to alleviate the discomfort in sore or injured areas, by resting, shielding the injured area from further trauma, and participating in other forms of functional movement.
Rebuilding muscle strength and endurance
Rebuilding strength for specific body parts can be accomplished with isometric exercises such as the plank and the glute bridge. Exercises with a low load are beneficial in regaining endurance.
Improving mobility and flexibility
Mobility and flexibility can be improved through therapeutic exercises and stretching muscles in stiff injured areas.
Restoring coordination and balance
Trauma or injury to the musculoskeletal system can negatively affect spatial awareness and coordination. Sports rehab assists with exercising the muscles around your joints to boost your proprioception and improve your balance and reflexes.
Rebuilding sport-specific technical movements
Physicians will assist you to get back on your feet. The key is to reduce the risk of future injury by avoiding the conditions that previously caused them. Muscles, ligaments, and tendons can adapt to the stresses and strains of specific activities and sports.
Without a systematic approach to rehabilitation, recovering from a sports injury can be long and difficult. Rehabilitation must be done in phases with set goals for each level.
List of services offered at REHABCENTRIC
- Sports Taping - a short-term protective mechanism for injured joints and soft tissue compression to minimise swelling and prevent further injury. It allows for controlled facilitation or inhibition of muscles for the reduction of pain, or better biomechanics.
- Strength, Agility & Balance Training
- Manual Therapy - physical treatment to decrease musculoskeletal pain and improve joint mobility
- Pain Management
- Conditioning & Performance Enhancement
- Hydrotherapy - Exercises performed in warm water for joint & muscle pain relief
- Sports Massage
- Core Strengthening Programme
- IASTM (Instrumented Assisted Soft Tissue Manipulation) - myofascial intervention used to correct issues in the soft tissue caused by repetitive and strenuous physical activity
- Exercise Therapy
- Alter G (Anti-Gravity Treadmill) - uses air pressure to help unweight the patient so that normal walking and running mechanics can be restored in the early stages of recovery.
The sports rehabilitation services at ADMC are continuously improved with the help of A.I. technology, which is part of the hospital's ongoing commitment to improving its patients' physical rehabilitation, wellness, and quality of life.
Weight Loss Programme
At REHABCENTRIC, there are also programmes to assist in the management of weight loss and obesity. Your doctor may recommend changes in diet and exercise plans, as well as general lifestyle adjustments, to help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
‘Shed The Pounds’
‘Shed The Pounds’ is a safe step-by-step plan to lose weight. The programme is monitored by sports physicians and Physiotherapists to ensure smooth progress. It focuses on:
- Cardiovascular exercise to strengthen the heart and lungs
- Increasing bone density
- Increasing your muscle mass and strength
- Providing patented radiofrequency therapy for fat and cellulite breakdown
At REHABCENTRIC in Ara Damansara Medical Centre (ADMC), we have a multidisciplinary medical team that is equipped to coordinate your care and personalise your rehabilitation to suit your injury.